Monday, November 04, 2013

"I" am Grandma Bowen

 This is my mother in law as a young bride.
There is some "talk' about how they met,
popcorn at a dance was involved,
but they married and had a family.

They struggled, financially, until they retired.
At that point they just enjoyed each other.
I hate that one of the last pictures I have of her is
with this sort of frown.
She did worry
but I remember her as loving the kids
and doing the best with what she had.



Although those who lived closer often complained about her,
she is a strong model for me as a grandparent.
She always encouraged our marriage and children.
She wrote often to us early on
and just wanted to say she supported us (in her own way).

Yesterday I was going through my things.
I found a piece of jewelry we had given her in the 1990's
In Chinese it says, "Grandma Bowen" 祖母梁宝荣

During this month of remembering our dead
my prayers often move to Grandma and Grandpa Bowen
Their life lessons are still with us.

Hard to believe she is gone and now I am Grandma Bowen.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Beautiful commentary on the circle of life.